Thursday, March 20, 2014

Make your own natural cleaning products

    I have a lot of people asking about the natural cleaning products I make. I thought I would share some recipes with you all. I'm only going to do a couple for now, but if you have something in particular you would like to know about, message me or leave a comment and I can do it later.
     So first, I want to say that vinegar is a wonderful cleaner. It takes odors away and it can leave things shining. However, it does not kill germs. Keep this in mind when concocting your own cleaning solutions.
      The most useful cleaning solution I make is in a spray bottle and it is good for cleaning just about everything. I use it on my countertops and my windows, my stove, sinks, microwave, etc. I wouldn't use it on wood or on cloth. I take a spray bottle and fill it half and half vinegar and water. I add about a teaspoon of tea tree oil and shake. Tea tree oil can cause allergic reactions and skin irritation. Test it before using. Also, tea tree oil is toxic if ingested. Don't eat it! That's it. It's very affordable and cleans great. The tea tree oil is believed to kill germs and fungus. Also, as a side note, people use tea tree oil to kill lice. To clean the toilet seat and rim(not the bowl), I would just add hydrogen peroxide to the mix. Please be careful using peroxide. It can bleach things!
     For homemade laundry detergent, I use a bar of all natural soap, borax, washing soda, and an essential oil. First, I shave the bar of soap down with a cheese grater and put the grated soap and two cups water into a sauce pan and heat it on the stove until all the soap has dissolved. Then, in a five gallon bucket, I add 4 gallons HOT water. I add the soap water, 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda and 15-20 drops of the essential oil(I use lavender). Next, I stir up the entire contents of the bucket, making sure everything dissolves into the water. I cover the bucket with foil and let it sit overnight. Then, in the morning, I stir it up. It should have thickened up by this point. Next, I get a measuring cup with a pour spout and scoop the detergent into my bottles or jugs. That's it. You can use between half a cup and a cup of detergent per load depending on how big the load is.
     I want to add that if you are using essential oils, please be sure they are 100% natural. It's actually quite easy to find cheaper versions that aren't actually essential oils. If it only cost you a dollar, chances are it isn't the real thing. I hope it helps you all out. I will post more recipes another time. If you have one in particular you would like to see, please let me know. Also, if you have some to share, feel free! I love to hear new recipes. Thanks!

 


   

2 comments:

I guess using vinegar as an alternative to harsh cleaning products is definitely a crowd favorite. Hahaha! I'm also guilty of using it on just about everything. Anyway, I think tea tree oil is a great idea. I don't recall being allergic to it, so I might as well try it out. Great ideas, by the way. Thanks for sharing them. All the best, Kay! :)

Bo Tolbert @ HJS Supply Co.

OVEN CLEANING MEDWAY deep clean Ovens, Hobs, Ranges, Extractor fans, Microwaves and Agas. We can also replace bulbs where needed and offer a free replacement filter with the extractor clean. If you're searching for Oven Cleaning Medway then contact us today for a free quotation.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More